Did you like that? Why not try these?
- The English We Speak: It's on the cards
The United States and Australia have joined the growing number of countries banning Travel from much of southern Africa to try to slow the spread of a new Covid variant.
The World Health Organisation has classified Omicron as a variant of concern because of early indications that it carries a high risk of reinfection. President Biden said the US had to be vigilant.
Key words and phrases
act officially to prevent something from happening
- The government decided to clamp down on benefit fraud after a sharp rise in the number of cases.
- The manager clamped down on lateness after a number of employees consistently didn’t arrive on time.
do something in a stronger way than before
- The local council has announced it will double down on illegal parking.
- The school has doubled down on smoking. Any child with cigarettes will be suspended.
blessing in disguise
something which at first looks bad, but in the end is good
- Rob eating all the biscuits was a blessing in disguise for my diet.
- I was annoyed when I missed the bus, but I realised it was a blessing in disguise after finding out it was in an accident!
Try our quiz to see how well you've learned today's language.
Source : https://www.bbc.com/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-20/session-222367